Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bad Dates

I got an offer from a co-worker to set me up with a really nice guy she knows. Sure. I'm up for anything at this point! But it kinda got me thinking about a few of the very weird dates I've been on in the last year.

I hate to admit that I took a dip in the vast ocean of internet dating, but I did. I got a few cups of tea and a dinner out of the whole experience, but overall it was a disaster.

Match #1 met me for coffee, and while we seemed to have a good time, he never called me back. Oh well.

Match #2 met me for coffee. He introduced himself while i was standing in line for my drink, and literally threw his credit card at the cashier when it was my turn to pay. We sat down, chatted, and after a few failed joke attempts he admitted to having google searched my name and email address. CREEPY! (at the time, nothing showed up when i googled my favorite screenname/email address. phew!)
After not accepting a second date offer, he tried chewing me out for having unrealistic expectations for relationships. Sorry if "being attracted to you, finding you interesting, and overall chemistry" falls under "unrealistic" but I'm gonna stick with those.

Match #3 wanted to take me out for dinner for reals, then perhaps minigolf. We met at the Dirty Bird and asked for a table for two. The hostess showed us to a half booth-half table combo, and he wanted nothing to do with it!
"Why can't we have that booth?" He asks. And as the Hostess stops to think (ya know... is that section still available?) He speaks up again!
"Either we get that booth, or you lose our business." There is no messing around. Its either a booth or nothing with this guy.

Later in the conversation I mention how rude he had been to the hostess, and he came back with a line about wanting the best for his date, and the restaurant should always bend to the customer's will. I called BS, and that was the point where we both knew there wouldn't be a second date. In fact, we never made it to minigolf. And I was ok with that.

Now, I'll admit that I wasn't really on my most polite behavior that night, but if you're going to make a fuss about what kind of table you want, then take initiative and talk to the hostess before seating... or take your date somewhere nicer that a chain restaurant that nukes all of its food.

No comments:

Post a Comment